Saturday 8 February 2014

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

I think at least everyone has heard "Disarm" at least once in their lives.  You may not even know that it's The Smashing Pumpkins, but you've heard this one before, I know.  When I was at my parents' house last weekend, I actually heard it playing on the radio on some regular-normal-boring station, though I definitely wouldn't use any of those words to describe this song.  Off of 1993's Siamese Dream, "Disarm" is evidence of good songs that just keep getting better with age.  Though I enjoy The Smashing Pumpkin's heavier work, this acoustic bit with help from the string section is a little more accessible, and it gives "Disarm" a bit of a more personal and haunting atmosphere.  Billy Corgan is phenomenal, as usual, and maybe, just maybe, this is even more beautiful than "Lily (My One And Only)."  Some people can be scared off by the gritty 90's sound of the band, but songs like "Disarm" are what really shows that the band is both versatile, and one of the greatest alternative rock bands to ever grace the music scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment