Friday 7 February 2014

Winds of Plague - Snake Eyes

I wasn't going to blog today, I really wasn't, but when I saw which song I had lined up next, I knew that I had to suck it up and just do it.  It's worth it, I told myself, and as sure as hell, it is.  I found Winds of Plague through the Century Media channel on Youtube, and I can't say no to deathcore, can I?  It's also a touch on the experimental side, and while Wikipedia says they're also symphonic black metal (who knows, though), I'm quite happy with whatever you want to call this.  "Snake Eyes" didn't really hit me hard until I listened to it on a snowy walk home from school a few weeks ago, so I suppose skipping the bus and going on foot pays off sometimes.

"Snake Eyes" is something special out of the new Winds of Plague material I found.  It's heavy, don't get me wrong, but there's something about the track that just seems so organic.  It could be the guitar work, Jonathan Cooke's vocals, or lyrics that are as haunting as they are insane (you can take the angel out of heaven, it doesn't mean she will shed her wings).  Really, "Snake Eyes" is the perfect deathcore song, because it doesn't make the fatal mistake of getting carried away with itself.  This song is about power, rather than piling on the cliches, and it shows in the final product.  The growling isn't too guttural either.  Everything works as it should, together, and all of that is why "Snake Eyes" will likely be on the Top 50 of 2014 list for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment