Wednesday 12 February 2014

Rise Against - Architects

The one thing I really hate about the week before reading week is the stress and general lack of time to do anything I like (I have two magazines by my bed that I haven't opened at all since buying them on Tuesday), but I'll always have time for a paragraph or two on Rise Against.  I've probably said before that they'll never top The Sufferer and The Witness, but Endgame comes pretty close to that.  Endgame has "A Gentleman's Coup" and "Help Is On The Way," so we've got to complete the holy trinity now!

Enter "Architects."  It's a piece of evidence of the growth that the band had done since The Sufferer... days.  Some critics are tough on this track, but I really enjoy it.  You have the fast and powerful verses, and a chorus that becomes a lot more lush and organic.  It's a nice contrast, and one that I like to see in a good alternative song.  Tim McIlrath is his normal wonderful self here, and his vocal work reminds me a little of how it was on "The Good Left Undone."  The instrumental work?  I could find faults, but that's just if I want to split hairs.  Looking at Endgame, "Architects" is a fantastic way to open up that album, and it'll grow on you, don't you worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment