Monday 10 February 2014

Within Temptation - The Truth Beneath The Rose

Man, Within Temptation is going to become the next Nightwish for me if this keeps up.  Weeks ago, I had planned to feature "Sinead," but I was rooting around Wikipedia, reading up on Sharon den Adel's biography, and noticed that it mentioned the Within Temptation song with her highest vocal note is "The Truth Beneath The Rose."  I went in for a listen, and now I'll have to save "Sinead" for another time.  Sorry, that's just how things work around here!  Knowing me, it won't be very long until that happens either.

"The Truth Beneath The Rose" definitely sounds a little higher than what I'm used to from Within Temptation, but I have no complaints.  It gives the track a very operatic feel.  I have to compare it to Nightwish in some senses, because it does sound like it could fit in on any Nightwish album.  Maybe not for Anette, but definitely Tarja.  Sharon den Adel puts a certain kind of power into this track, though, and that's what sets it apart from all the symphonic metal you've heard before.  "The Truth Beneath The Rose" is a little dark and creepy, but it still wraps a hand around you and won't let go.  The instrumental work is a very lovely mix of metal and classical, but it's combinations like that, that when done right, can grip you in a way like no other.  Not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. I love this song! I once heard a rumour that it's supposed to be about The Da Vinci Code, but I'm not sure that's true.

    Within Temptation are one of my favourite bands. :) They're fantastic live - I saw them a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've got to look further into the lyrics to see what I can find :p

      Delete