Friday 24 June 2011

Hollywood Undead - Bullet

I'm a proud Hollywood Undead fan.  They've mixed together rap, hip-hop and alternative into something unique, and something that's taken over my Top 25 Most Played playlist.  Their albums "Swan Songs" and "American Tragedy" are two of my absolute favourites, and the current standout of both comes from the latter.

Upon first listening to "Bullet", you wonder if this is really Hollywood Undead.  It doesn't start off as any of their songs, with an acoustic guitar, and is suspiciously upbeat.  It is a paradox of sorts, once you begin to notice that the lyrics are about the touchy subject of suicide.  Yet, it is sung and rapped with anything but sadness and melancholy.  Strange?  Yes, it's something I've never encountered before either.  It makes you think, and makes you reconsider the basis of music as you hear and if I survive, then I'll see you tomorrow.

"Bullet", despite its subject matter, is a beautiful song.  What Hollywood Undead does here probably shouldn't be done again, as it will either be labelled as a copycat or just not be as good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment