Thursday 9 June 2011

Karen Page - Your Body Is Like A Wasteland

I've done my research on the Ohio "hardcore" outfit known as Karen Page.  What I found is that most music critics (and music listeners) have a slew of bad things to say about them, explaining that there is no sense of direction in their self-titled album and they are "just like every other band".  I sampled the entire CD on freegal and chose to use one of my three free weekly downloads (courtesy of a new feature at my library) on "Your Body Is Like A Wasteland."  I found that it stood out from the other tracks, which rely too much on the lead singer's throat and little substance.  Huh.  Guess the critics were right about something after all.

However, "Your Body Is Like A Wasteland" potentially saves the album, or tries to.  It's like the one child in a third grade class who doesn't get head lice.  Instead of thanking this miracle to tea tree oil shampoo, the song owes its salvation to a chorus sung with clean vocals and verses that aren't growled to oblivion.  Throat is used when needed, leaving the rest of the song to comprehensibly tell a story.  The guitars are reminiscent of Kezia-era Protest The Hero, which is probably why I enjoy listening to it.  The final twenty seconds bring the song to an astonishing close, in which the chorus is given a screaming cover.  It thankfully lets the song end on a high note.

Karen Page is what Dead & Divine would be if Rody Walker took over lead vocals upon creation.  The band has potential in "Your Body Is Like A Wasteland," and I'm curious to see what they will bring to the table next.  Will I get around to downloading the rest of the album?  No.  But I will keep an eye on Karen Page.  Take a listen to "Your Body Is Like A Wasteland."  Even the timid hardcore fan should like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment