Friday 17 June 2011

a balladeer - When Dean Was The Man (And Monroe Always Smiled)

My first freegal find.  The short sample that I listened to before downloading did not serve it justice.  The Dutch a balladeer gives us a beautiful tribute to the 50's and a love song that isn't too repetitive.  A love song for people who hate love songs.  That's what I would call it.


The song starts out slow with a quiet acoustic guitar acting as the compliment to Marinus de Goederen's vocals that sound strangely familiar.  For the past few weeks I've been trying to compare him to someone without much luck.  Perhaps he is unique in his register, or I just haven't been following alternative music as closely as I used to.  As the tempo picks up and the strings are introduced, you know that you're hooked.  There's no denying that this should be playing on the radio somewhere, either adult contemporary or alternative, but it almost makes it better that barely anyone in North America has heard of a balladeer.


I've sampled the entire album "Where Are You, Bambi Woods?" and found that "When Dean Was The Man" is the highlight of the CD (no surprise).  Then again, samples rarely justify the piece, so I may have to give it another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment