Wednesday 8 June 2011

RAMESH - The King

Here we are in the first post of what I hope to be many.  In a quick blurb: this is not an online diary where you'll be able to closely watch a deteriorating life.  This blog is strictly about music.  If you're like me, you love various genres of music, but have trouble finding new songs to add to a growing repretoire.  I find that a great source is http://www.rcrdlbl.com/, which is where I found the very first song I would like to share with the world.  "The King" by RAMESH.

The song begins with what you can expect at the end: your breath to be taken away.  The throbbing drum that continues through the song brings a sense of the somber, complimenting the lyrics: "And I'm asking you if you still love me, after all the hell that I've put you through."  It is a lover's apology set to a weeping violin and a shy guitar.  It is a sad song; terribly sad.  Undescribable beauty is reached almost three and a half minutes in with a climax of a violin solo, followed by an a cappella chorus.  This is the kind of song that takes a few listens to fully appreciate and understand, though once a sense of understanding is reached, you cannot help but press the repeat button, sit back, and take it in for the umpteenth time. 

I reluctantly drop this into the "indie" category on itunes, though it should have its own category altogether.  RAMESH proves that minimalism in music can be just as powerful as a big show of things.  Since acquiring it circa December/January (I would know for sure if I wasn't writing this from the family desktop), it has become one of my favourite songs of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment