Monday 20 June 2011

Dam Mantle - Movement

Dam Mantle knows how I like my electronic music.  Minimal (as I've mentioned before...I think), nothing too insane, and it doesn't try to be a dance track just because there are no words and lots of beats.  I can recall a time that I was listening to my favourite of Dam Mantle's songs, "Movement" at the kitchen table, only to hear my dad pipe up from the den with, "what are you listening to?"

For those who like 90's-era Disney movies, "Movement" is the soundtrack to one scene of The Brave Little Toaster, in which the appliances stumble upon a pond and interact with the wildlife.  Everything that should be alive lives and thrives (along with a toaster, vacuum, electric blanket, radio and desk lamp).  Youtube it if you aren't familiar with one of the greatest animated movies of all time.  The scene fits the song to a tee.

Speaking of which, "Movement" was given a fitting title.  It's delicate sounds work their way into your brain and send you somewhere abstract, where movement is freedom.  As it climbs to an impressive ending, it evokes an emotion that I can't quite describe.  Somewhere between happiness and sadness lies what you feel listening to "Movement."  It could be contentedness, or acceptance.  Either way, it is a showstopper.  You'll want to move along with the music, but you will also want to sit back and think, and then wondering where the last (almost) six minutes have gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment