Wednesday 15 June 2011

City Sleeps - Not An Angel

"Not An Angel" has been haunting me for years.  Literally, years.  Sometimes in the late ninth grade (I'm assuming, though it's been quite a long time) I heard it on the radio once.  To my knowledge, it was never played on the local alternative station again.  But since I heard it one time, the chorus has been coming into my head every now and again reminding me that I should either find the song or find the City Sleeps CD, both of which didn't amount to much success. 

Then...almost two weeks ago I found out how many HMV points I've horded this last year, discovering I had enough to trade for a few song downloads from the store website.  Browsing around, the chorus of "Not An Angel" appeared one last time, and I was able to locate it and add it to my library a long time after it should have been there.  The end.

Well, the end of the background story.  The question is, what makes "Not An Angel" stand out from other alternative tracks in a world where bands of this genre come and go on a regular basis.  I say that it has something to do with the sadness in the lead singer's voice in the song's hook, never gonna belong, sung i a way that it has replaced the chorus in being stuck in my head all the time.  It's an example of beautiful sadness, and it is definitely a memorable song if it was stuck in my head for the excess of four years.  Though City Sleeps hasn't been terribly popular before or since this, the non-alternativeness of "Not An Angel" was enough for me to remember it after hearing it once.  That says something in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment