Thursday 30 June 2011

Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine

Have you played Spyro: Year Of The Dragon?  If you vaguely remember a game that combined a purple dragon, eggs, and what I remember was a blue hippo, then you must have.  The background music of the levels reminds me of the music in Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine."  It involves a strange combination of a flute, several keyboard instruments and some synth.  In the end, said combination (even though it sounds amazingly complicated) comes across as simple and well thought out.

Beginning with I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes, and I certainly haven't been spreading myself around, Fiona offers a ballad of empowerment.  Offering I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine, it is perhaps toned down compared to Ms. Apple's usual work.  The album of the same name was her most recent at the time (and still is), and the first of hers that came into my possession.  It's full of power, a more fantastical musical accompaniment, and other amazing things that the other two lack.

Kanye West is the king of consistency.  Fiona Apple is his female counterpart.  I know, I said that her first two albums were lacking what the third had.  They were still quite good.  This girl knows what she's doing, though with "Extraordinary Machine", she takes that to a whole new level.  My advice?  Make the most of this, Fiona, and release your fourth album ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment