Saturday 18 June 2011

Cocorosie - Lemonade

Cocorosie is a "band" unlike anything I've ever heard before.  They are two sisters who dress in drag and sing with hauntingly sad vocals about fantasy worlds and the surreal.  Weird?  You could use that word to describe them.  I would.  But whatever they are doing, they are doing it right.  "Lemonade" is easily my favorite song by them (also recommending "R.I.P Burn Face", if you're interested).

"Lemonade" has a slow sadness to the verses, sung over a few keystrokes on the piano. The chorus brings a little more cheer to the overall theme of melancholy, offering shot a rabbit from the backseat window, sat and watched the summer corn grow.  The Casady sisters compliment each other in nearly every song, "Lemonade" not excluded.  It is sad, and it is happy.  It is ugly, but it is beautiful.  Perhaps that is why they work so well together.

On a final note, I recommend watching the music video made for "Lemonade."  It may freak you out, but it may surprise you.  Now, whenever I listen to the song (like right now), I imagine the sisters dressed as old women with mustaches wandering around a dusty old house, with hot pink flashes in the sky.  It's an imagine that may disturb you at first, but you will watch the video more than once.  I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment