Thursday 16 June 2011

The Cranberries - No Need To Argue

The bulk of my music comes from Value Village.  You can buy a CD there for three dollars that you might find down the street at Wal-Mart for the upwards of ten dollars.  I'm willing to take my chances with people's rejects, mostly boy bands and bands from the 90's, though once in a while I find a gem sitting on the shelf, waiting for me to take home.  One of the first CDs I ever got from VV was The Cranberries' No Need To Argue.  Aside form the obvious choice of song to feature, I choose the title track.

I love minimalism in music.  When done correctly, it is utterly amazing.  "No Need To Argue" offers the combination of Dolores O'Riordan's stunning voice, a few background vocals and the yawn of a few quiet instruments.  It's a quiet track, and doesn't stand out after one complete listen of the entire album, but it sits and festers in the back of your head, the idea of it growing larger each time.

It's simplicity at its best.  In less than three minutes, The Cranberries solidify why they will never be one of those 90's bands that consistently find themselves on the used CD shelf of Value Village.  I've only seen one more of their CDs there since, their third album, and it's in my tower now.  Plain and simple: the Irish know what they're doing when it comes to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment