Sunday 19 June 2011

Tom Waits - Underground

Like "Not An Angel", "Underground" has been haunting me for years, ever since my aunt took me and my siblings to see Robots at the IMAX theatre.  I've heard a few Tom Waits fans complain that the song is only popular because it was in an animated movie, but that's one of the headlining reasons that things are popular these days.  As with "Not An Angel", I horded enough HMV points to purchase "Underground" online, and have been listening to it ever since.

There's something about Tom Waits' gravelly voice that makes his music so intriguing.  It adds to the industrial effect of "Underground", which I will always associate with the scene from Robots in which the "chop shop" is introduced.  You imagine rusty machines clinking and clanking together and sparks flying through the air.  Robots are slicing each other apart to the hum of a chainsaw.  It is a song that inspires great visuals, insisting that the listener never forget that there is a world going on underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment