Tuesday 28 June 2011

Finbar Furey - Shannonside

Have I ever mentioned that the Irish know what they're doing when it comes to music?  They mix the perfect amount of vocals, instruments, and wonderful lyrics to produce art in its own rite.  I think that if Yeats had turned his poems in music, it would come out a bit like Finbar Furey and his breathtaking "Shannonside."

"Shannonside" is about realizing that home is right where you left it: sure, there's no place in this world I'd rather be.  The minstrel behind Mr. Furey offers a wonderful accompaniment.  It gives "Shannonside" the homey feel that it needs.  Sure, you may not be Irish, and even if you are, you may not know which part of Ireland you're from (ahem, ahem...my entire family).  But the song is something that we can all relate to.  Home is where the heart is, after all.

Finbar Furey is Flogging Molly or The Dropkick Murphys all grown up and toned down.  I'm currently in the process of acquiring his entire album, No Farewells, No Goodbyes from freegal.  Which reminds me, it's Tuesday, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment