Monday 24 October 2011

Mariachi el Bronx - 48 Roses

I'm all for blending genres.  We know that now, after all of these posts and all of my harping about this is the way music should be.  Rarely am I left speechless, though.  Rarely am I this intrigued by something I have never heard before.  I suppose there is a first time for everything, including the bridging of Latin, rock and mariachi together in three and a half minutes of pure fantastic music.  Some worry the risk may not be worth the reward.  Those people haven't heard of Mariachi el Bronx, or their hardcore side, simply known as The Bronx.  The band takes a break from hardcore in this number, the roller coaster that is "48 Roses."  Lyrical genius, blending genres, taking risks....I am in heaven.

So father, forgive my cold shoulder, I just don't have the time to console her.  I can fall back in love when I'm older.

You would never know that this band usually veers towards the hardcore side of rock.  Here you have a lush, romantic sounding song that is ironically all about heartbreak and the aches.  I've gone and created a mess, but Mariachi el Bronx has gone and created a masterpiece.  My knowledge of mariachi doesn't exist beyond the episode of My Name Is Earl where the Hickey brothers travel to Mexico, but this...this will draw you in.  If something is done well, anyone will listen.  Maybe The Bronx should quit the hardcore biz and continue to dress in ornate jackets and pick up where they left off with "48 Roses."  I wouldn't argue, though I am now off to look up their rock items on youtube.  Happy listening (because I assume you will listen to this song)!

No comments:

Post a Comment