Sunday 2 October 2011

Black Light Dinner Party - Small Boxes

Is this really post number 100?  It feels like it was yesterday that I first featured RAMESH's "The King," and now we're here in October.  I would like to thank everyone for viewing and reading.  After all, I'm writing for an audience.  For post 100, I thought long and hard about what greatness to showcase for such an event, and then considered something.  Perhaps I shouldn't do the expected, mentioning a song by a mainstream band that I've been listening to for years.  Perhaps I should do what I came here to do: share unknown gems with the world.  I have been doing mostly Top 40-ish songs lately, but with post 100, it's time we return to our roots with a haunting indie number.

Hence, "Small Boxes" by Black Light Dinner Party, a New York collective with an eye for synths.

This is a beautiful, yet melancholy blend of light piano strokes, indie vocals and electronic not-so-background music.  That said, in defense that the instrumental side of this song is just as important as words.  And here is another amazing example of lyrical genius...you promised her she'd laugh a little, you promised her I take it all back, you promised her things you'll never get, I promised her that I would hold her hand.  This is true beauty in music, and even if I had said that before, it's a dirty lie.  THIS is it.  Everything you've heard before was garbage.  "Small Boxes" is a song that not everyone can appreciate, but to those who can, this is why I blog.  For you.

To another hundred posts...

No comments:

Post a Comment