Wednesday 26 October 2011

Amaranthe - Hunger

Amaranthe is a Swedish "melodic death metal" band, though I would scoot them towards the "post-hardcore" genre instead, maybe even "power metal" if I really had to.  The group features stylings from three vocalists: clean female, clean male and male throat.  Variety is the spice of life, after all.  I discovered them during my tour of the world of metal via Youtube, and was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked a handful of their songs.  "Hunger" is definitely the best of the bunch (with honorable mention to "Automatic" and "1000000 Light Years").

Why?

Some might say three vocalists in a band is two too many, but here you've got a contrast between the singers and the screamers.  It's just fun music.  It's easy to tell when a metal or hardcore band take themselves too seriously, and it makes it hard to enjoy the music as I would like to.  Amaranthe, I've decided on what genre to put you in..."fun metal!"  And the chorus?  It's beautiful.  I would enjoy metal even more than I already do if more bands had a woman vocalist in contrast to their growler.  Maybe the Swedish are on to something...

No comments:

Post a Comment