Sunday 23 October 2011

Yellowcard - Cut Me, Mick

I've been a Yellowcard fan since Ocean Avenue, though it was their following releases, Lights and Sound and Paper Walls, that are really their best work.  The new album (name omitted so that you will never listen to it) was too poppy for me and didn't take enough risks.  But their older work still stands as some of my favourite music in my library.  Is it possible to narrow down their amazing work, combining alternative with the violin, to just one song at the top of the ladder?  Yes, though it is a bit of a daunting task.  Still, the best of the best is "Cut Me, Mick" from Paper Walls, and after one listen, you'll likely agree.

This is a song of nostalgia, reminiscing of yesteryear, and remembering the good times, though there is a flogging sadness you can't ignore.  The chorus says it all: you are the one that I need, you know that I can still bleed, bring me back to life.  This is a song for all of those who have lost someone, as a reminder that there is hope, and there is closure that comes from tragedy.  Yellowcard is the master band of emotion put into alternative music.  This isn't mainstream (though one could make an argument about the last album...).  This is the way music should be done.  Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment