Tuesday 25 October 2011

Swollen Members - Lonely One

I need to take a break from mashups of metal and Lady Gaga to get back to showcasing an underrated genre that isn't titled "Ov Fire and Bad Romance."  Yes, rap can be underrated.  When people think of rap, they think of what you're probably thinking of right now.  Well, forget everything you've ever thought about the rap genre...again...because I've mentioned this group before.  Swollen Members are likely my favourite Canadian group that operates outside of the metal scene.  They could out-rap any American rhymer in less than a second.  I'll be listening to Madchild and Prevail do their thing until they stop (god forbid).  "Lonely One" is quite possibly some of their best work, even if it came from the iffy Armed To The Teeth. Still worth buying, but iffy.  But redeemed by "Lonely One."

Rap has a formula of success to me.  You know that, but let me remind you.  Good background beats, good lyrics, and something different.  Swollen Members has all of that here.  These two masterminds are at their best when the theatrics are at a minimum and you can hear the emotion in their raps (see my "Moonshine" post...hell, take a listen to that track).  Madchild always sounds sombre when he takes the subdued approach.  Case in point, the perfect chorus: she tried to kill my art, she couldn't feel my heart, still good start, man with the loaded gun, she said I was the only one.  Pops said "I told you, son," still phone me like you owe me one, now she don't control me, but no one hold me, walk slowly the lonely one, still the one.  And there you go.  Well, I think Prevail says it the best...

Searching the world for a group like this, I can say with confidence not another exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment