Friday 14 October 2011

Arkona - Yarilo

Let's stay on the path of folk metal, shall we, and recognize the fact that I have a new favourite band that graced the last post.  Oh, Arkona...you know the way into my brain through my ears with fantastic metal.  After discovering "Goi, Rode, Goi!" I came across a Youtube video of "Yarilo," which is notably more folky than the former.  However, this isn't folk without death growls and guitars that would make the great composers of the enlightenment weep.  According to my brother, Masha "screams like a man."  That she does, but that is why she is my new hero.  She growls better than any male lead singer I've heard before...even the great Mr. Walker (sorry Rody, I had to say it!).  Note to self: add her to my list of inspirational people on Facebook.

I was able to find the Russian (in Cyrillic) lyrics for "Yarilo," whose title comes from one of the great Slavic gods.  Funny, as this is one of the greatest two and a half minutes that has ever been documented.  You have to watch the live performance online...it will knock your socks off.  Arkona, none before you had pulled a two-posts-in-a-row streak on my blog.  For that, I commend you.

As well, I must apologize for repeated absences in the past.  You know how university is...full of needless and copious amounts of work.  However, I will be back with my spin on the world of music Sunday with gaps far and few between after that.  Be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment