Wednesday 12 October 2011

Arkona - Goi, Rode, Goi!

The thing about metal music is that there are more subgenres than an average person can be aware of at anytime.  We're all familiar with death metal, prog metal, melodic metal, etc.  Last night, I discovered a subgenre I've only heard about, but never decided to give a listen.  Folk (or pagan) metal, and even by not distinguishing between those two words, I could probably ignite a heated debate between my school's metal club (which I never attend; I can't say that black and death metal strike me as it does with the majority of members).  In my eyes, or ears, folk metal is a tad more melodic than its counterparts, and those who do it best are not from this side of the world.  In fact, I might have to change my mind about the best music coming from Ireland.  Russia is moving up the ranks, especially with the wondrous collective that is Arkona.  Fronted by the amazing Masha Scream, we see that women in metal can put men in their place, growling in the process.

The first song of theirs I discovered was the epic "Goi, Rode, Goi!"  This is what Iron Maiden would sound like if you replaced Bruce with a woman, let her scream, and left the entire band with memories erased in the wide expanse that is Siberia.  Masha puts all throat vocalists to shame here, to powerful guitars riffs and what sounds like some sort of bagpipe-like instrument (you can hear it, I know you can! I doubt it's a bagpipe though).  Even when her voice is clean, it's just as atmospherically troubling as it is beautiful.  I think I have a new hero.  Since last night, I've been looking up songs by the band on Youtube and staring in awe and the power they wield.  This is the way metal should be done now.  Forget all of those other subgenres.  Folk is the way it will be done from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment