Wednesday 19 October 2011

Eluveitie - Inis Mona

Veering back to the path of folk metal, in the last week I also discovered the Swiss collective that is Eluveitie.  Now, epicness comes in many forms, but I doubt you've heard something as epic as them.  I'll tie them with Arkona as my new favourite band...for now.  The eight-piece act often sings in the extinct language of Gaulish, either in growls or wondrous vocals form the female group members, but in "Inis Mona," they sing in English about the mythical island.

From 2008's Slania, "Inis Mona" sounds as Celtic as its namesake.  You've got a string section behind the guitars that makes this all the more haunting, as well as the melodic sound that drew me deep into the world of folk metal.  And the chorus?  Well, if the verses don't pull you in, then the refrain will: I close my eyes, Inis Mona, and reminisce of those palmy days.  I moon o'er you, Inis Mona.  As long as I breathe, I'll call you my home.  Eluveitie won't be for everyone, I know.  If screamo or death growls send you turning the other way, then I am afraid you're missing out on something that will make your ears bleed in a good way.  I promise no more folk metal for a while, but wanted to leave the genre on a high note.  Eluveitie is likely as good as it gets (Arkona too...I can't say a bad thing about them).

No comments:

Post a Comment