Monday 31 October 2011

Early Man - Nine Riders

I'm still sorting through freegal now and again, looking for new metal bands that rarely anyone has heard of before.  Last week I found the impressive Early Man, a New York now-two-piece who will shred your face off if another band hasn't already.  And if said face has already been shredded beyond recognition, then they will shred it down to the bone.  This is heavy metal, but not the deep-throat vocal, thrash in every direction metal that is hard to escape these days.  Early Man plays metal that could restore your faith in the genre if you've been tainted by the likes of too-heavy-for-their-own-good outfits (don't get me wrong, they exist, and they shouldn't) or more-pop-than-metal-what-are-you-doing-calling-yourself-metal collectives.  This is what metal was before the genre exploded into subgenres.  This is...the way it should be done.

My current favourite of their songs that I've sampled is "Nine Riders," which makes me wish that I hadn't quit guitar lessons about six years ago.  You could say that this has some Halloween-y elements to it if you'd like.  It has a very dark feel to it...our quest for blood will never end?  Yeah, this is Halloween.  But the real star here is the guitars.  They will make you have an aneurysm of epic proportions, because I doubt that you've heard a band play like this in a long time.  There is a simple point to this posting..what does Early Man prove?  You don't need to scream to be heard.  You can be just as loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment