Saturday 29 October 2011

Kings of Leon - Pyro

Honestly speaking, I never understood the hype involving Kings of Leon.  In my eyes, they didn't offer anything new to the world of music and I just didn't get why everyone liked them so much.  "Sex on Fire?"  Really?  Then again, I am always the one to be proven wrong.  As far as I know, the band has broken up or is taking a break or something dumb like that, but their music still finds its way to me, this time in the form of Canadian comedy show Video On Trial, in which comedians make fun of music videos.  Usually, the songs they review are Top 40 in nature and typically never beautiful in my eyes.  The point of all this?  I was proven wrong twice.

Now, the first, and likely only song by Kings of Leon that I will ever like is the simple "Pyro."

Why is this the best of the worst band to ever call themselves a band?  Because it's actually a good song that I can listen to more than once without vomiting.  The lead singer (I don't really want to find his name) also sings with some sadness and regret in his voice, something I have not noticed before in my casual listening before "Pyro."  Dare I say it, is this song beautiful?  Yes.  Because it is sad.  And it is good.  The chorus is wondrous, the guitars are listenable, and there is a strange feeling that this a powerful song, even if it has nothing to do with fire.  Huh.  The enigma that is my taste in music...  So to all of my fellow Kings of Leon haters, give this one a try, see if I can prove you as wrong as the band proved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment