Monday 17 October 2011

Lights - Cactus In The Valley

Lights might be the best Canadian songstress to come out of the north since Ms. McLachlan.  Well, she hasn't reached such a level of epicness yet, but she's pretty damn good.  I got her latest release, Siberia, in the first week it came out, and was generally pleased with how it turned out.  It's less pop, more electronic than her debut, and experienced the expected growth I hoped to see Lights gain as an artist.  Though the obvious choice for a feature would be the fantastic-in-its-own-right "Toes," I see reason to look at the underdog of the album; the slowed-down and sombre "Cactus in the Valley."

"Cactus in the Valley" is without the synths and keyboard riffs of the rest of the album, instead showing just Lights and a few soft sounds in the background.  Lights is also a tad of a lyrical genius, in the lines if my yesterday is a disgrace, tell me that you'll still recall my name and wipe the mark of madness from my face, show me that your love will never change.  This song shows that Lights can be just as powerful on her own as she is with a cavalry of electronica behind her.  I'm already on the edge of my seat for album three.

No comments:

Post a Comment