Thursday 27 October 2011

Jason Mraz - Plane

Just so everyone knows...I liked Jason Mraz before We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things.  That album was nothing compared to his previous effort, Mr. A-Z.  Now that...that was the soundtrack to my '06.  Less acoustic guitar centered, more piano, it was just a brilliant piece of music that even my younger self could recognize.  I fell in love.  There were a lot of wondrous selections on that disc, but none other struck me at first as the five-and-a-quarter minute masterpiece that was, and still is "Plane."

Have you ever flown before?  I have once in a cramped fusel lodge between my biology teacher and the window seat.  There's something about looking down at a city and watching it disappear into the clouds, and vise versa.  It is a strange sight.  "Plane" is the soundtrack to such a moment.  Who lies below the plane, and what are they doing at this moment?  Melancholy-ish emotion in music was something that Mr. Mraz did with such grace and beauty, and even though he doesn't do much of this anymore, we at least have evidence of what used to be.  I cannot wait to call you, and tell you that I landed somewhere, and hand you a square of the air.  Lyrical genius.  Dear Jason, please do what you did in Mr. A-Z again for your die-hard fans.  We miss this.  Well, I do, but I feel speaking for everyone will get my point across better.

No comments:

Post a Comment