Thursday 3 November 2011

Zager & Evans - In The Year 2525

How about we take a detour into the oldies, but the goodies?  No?  Well, that's too bad.  Last week, I was watching Futurama late one night and eating mini Kit Kat bars.  I was in heaven.  Fry, Bender and Farnsworth were travelling forward in time, and the episode included a segment to the reworked tune of my favourite old-song-of-the-moment.  Zager & Evans' "In The Year 2525" was changed so that the years sung where further into the future, such as 125125 and one million and a half (where humankind is enslaved by giraffes).  I typed the lyrics into my phone to find them later, and finally remembered where I'd put them yesterday.  Oh, the stories I tell.

Sure, this song was written a long time ago, and it's possible for the people of yesteryear to consider in the year 2525, if mankind is still alive...well, that's a little close to 2011 for me.  But this is what I love about the 70's.  Their imaginations.  Songs like "In The Year 2525," caught somewhere between rock and folk, are the gems I enjoy finding, even if it's through Futurama.  This is science fiction in song, what more could you ask for?



No comments:

Post a Comment