Friday 11 November 2011

Nightwish - Storytime

I've been aware of Nightwish for a reasonably short amount of time, but they officially came onto my radar last night with the new single "Storytime."  Now, I'm aware of all of the controversy that surrounds the band.  The old lead singer, Tarja Turunen, was dismissed from the band and replaced by Annette Olzon.  I have songs containing both vocalists, and particularly don't prefer one over the other. Yes, Tarja was good, but Annette was a fine replacement.  If it makes some die hard Tarja-philes reading this feel any better, I'll feature one of her songs in the near future.  For now, we will look at the beauty that is "Storytime."

Nightwish is truly a fantastical band.  This is symphonic death metal, but is likely unlike any metal you've heard before.  "Storytime" is fittingly a song about fantasy and the worst of never never land.  It's also as catchy as hell...I have yet to get it out of my head.  Annette really brings something to the table that Tarja didn't.  She sounds unique while still fitting in with the rest of the band.  Her voice is fantasy-worthy in its own right.  The video isn't half-bad either, I've already watched it a good 10 times.  The point?  "Storytime" is my favourite catchy metal song of the moment.  Sorry, Arkona's "Yarilo!"  Catchy metal?  Yeah...that exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment