Tuesday 22 November 2011

Nightwish - Nemo

As promised, I am going to look at a Nightwish track featuring former vocalist Tarja Turunen.  She was dismissed from the band some time ago and replaced by the equally wonderful Annette Olzon, but some fans still lament the fact that she never should have gone anywhere.  I'm impartial in a sense, and as I've mentioned before, both songstresses have strengths and weaknesses (weaknesses of songstresses...say that five times fast).  Tarja sounds more operatic than Annette, which definitely comes across in one of my favourite old Nightwish songs, "Nemo."

"Nemo" is a few things: atmospheric, beautiful, and definitely not about a little orange fish.  Think of the other Nemo in the lines: Nemo sailing home, Nemo letting go.  This is Nightwish at its best in the good old days, with guitars that play just as big of a role as the vocals.  And that piano...well then, now I for sure won't be able to decide who I like more.  This is a high point for Tarja, as well as the equally notable "Over The Hills And Far Away."  Nemo my name forevermore, she sings.  I'm not too sure how Nemo can be used a verb, but there is a point to all of this.  Tarja may be off doing her own thing, but Nightwish wouldn't be much now without what she did back then.  We'll still remember her place in the band no matter how many lineup changes there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment