Tuesday 1 November 2011

Beat The Devil - Shine In Exile

The best music in the world might come from Ireland (and not far behind, Russia), but the best music in North America outside of Canada comes from the wondrous state of New York.  I have yet to go there myself, but have dreams and ambitions as high as the moon.  Today's band from NYC is Brooklyn-based Beat The Devil.  The band could be called indie, but there is something about them that isn't too indie.  You know how it is.  Almost there, but not quite.  They came to me in the form of "Shine in Exile."

There is something mysterious about this track, and the beginning could bring you to a dark speakeasy in the middle of the swamp with the touch of a piano.  As the guitars and drums pick up, you're back in the city, and "Shine in Exile" is working on worming its way into your brain.  And as you might have guessed, I will say that anything boys can do, girls can do better.  Female-fronted indie bands (and with wondrous harmonies, nonetheless) win nearly every time.  Blame the feminist in me.  Beat The Devil just performs interesting music.  You will never be bored listening to them.  Baby, I've learned to live inside my head is what the song would say if it could speak, but it would learn to live inside your head.  This one is here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment