Tuesday 27 December 2011

Disturbed - Hell + Chevelle - Revenge

I hope that everyone had a fantastic two days of holiday fun.  And if not, I hope that the last two days were still wonderful in any sense.  What did Santa bring me for Christmas even though I've been the furthest from good this year?  An ipod that is actually big enough to hold all of my music, and more.  As well, I was lucky enough to get The Lost Children, Disturbed's collection of b-sides and rarities from their musical career, along with Chevelle's newest release, Hats Off To The Bull.  I thought it only fair to feature my favourite song from both selections.

"Hell" is the clear highlight of The Lost Children.  There's no contest here.  Mr. Draiman describes it, according to Wikipedia, as being "about a relationship with someone who keeps coming in and out of your life, and every time they come back they fuck up your whole world."  Huh.  It's a b-side from the band's third album Ten Thousand Fists, and you can hear the similarities between "Hell" and tracks from the album.  It's just a good four minutes to rock out to, lamenting in the final words burning, now I'll bring you in.  Even though Disturbed is reportedly on a hiatus as of now, "Hell" and The Lost Children proves that they'll be around to last.

Hats Off To The Bull is Chevelle's sixth release, and I'll say that it's no Sci-Fi Crimes, but is still a collection of wonderful tracks that has the band reminiscing about earlier works.  After listening to the entire album once, I've deduced that the track that stands out the most to me is "Revenge," a song that reminds me of almost everything form This Type Of Thinking (Could Do Us In).  It's just Chevelle at their best, and I don't expect any less from the Loeffler brothers and co.  I'll leave you, and finish this post, by sharing the second verse of "Revenge" with you:

Me, I'd let the panic ride and pin it on the wall
Identifying pride is the saddest of the chores
Those burning eyes indeed define a churning of the soul
Feels better to be lost, but haven't felt the choice




No comments:

Post a Comment