Thursday 1 December 2011

The Misfits - Twilight of the Dead

You remember The Misfits, don't you?  Doesn't the name sound vaguely familiar?  That's the same feeling I had before when I came across this track.  I'm sure I've heard of them before, or at least saw someone in Metal Club wearing a band t-shirt with their name across the chest.  The Misfits aren't quite metal (I think); think more punk.  After their debut in the late 70's and a long period of legal battles and generally no releases, 2011 brings The Devil's Rain, and on that album, the impressive "Twilight of the Dead."

This is the way punk was back in the 80's when the band had its heyday, and I can only wish current punk still retained a bit of what was put into "Twilight of the Dead."  It's really horror punk, which is essentially horror put to punk music.  Still good.  It makes me think this is what Iron Maiden would sound like if they were less metal and Bruce had a lower vocal register (which I never want to happen, ever!).  The guitars are impressive, the lyrics are quite good, and it's just one of those short (but fantastic) catchy songs.  I can't find anything wrong with it.  Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment