Monday 19 December 2011

Mike Tompkins - Rolling In The Deep (A Capella Cover)

Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" might be the best song to cover, though if done improperly it will result in a big mess.  And doing something different with it?  A very good thing.  For instance, what if you sang it a capella and then added yourself acting as the other instruments?  And also label what instrument sound you are making with your mouth so I don't get confused?  Ladies and gentlemen....Mr. Mike Tompkins.

Even though "Rolling In The Deep" is a popular song to cover, it's a difficult one to pull off.  Mr. Tompkins does a good job here with his one-man band style.  This isn't how you typically cover a song.  My favourite part?  A little past halfway of the song, you hear these computerized sounding high vocals repeating the echo of the song: you're gonna wish you'd never have met me, tears are gonna fall, rolling in the deep.  It's what singing would sound like if it rolled down a slow river to a waterfall...at night.  Yeah, I'm still working on my metaphors.  Mike Tompkins injects his own flair into "Rolling In The Deep," while still retaining to original soul put into it by Adele.  I can't find anything wrong with what he's done here.  All I see is what he's done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment