Wednesday 28 December 2011

Maria Mena - Power Trip Ballad

Who is Norway's answer to Fiona Apple?  Well, Maria Mena isn't exactly Miss Apple, but she's close enough to make that comparison.  She's a contemporary pop artist from the land of fjords, an I'm quite a fan of the music I've heard so far.  Why not branch our of your normal music (yet again) and give a listen to "Power Trip Ballad," a rising-in-action ditty from her most recent Cause And Effect that makes for perfect long-car-ride music, or a good afternoons-alone tune.

How could he leave you, could he fuck that whore he left you for? Get revenge. 
And by all means, asking nine-year-old daughter to choose between you, don't stay friends.

Be careful, Miss Mena sings these words quickly, which makes for a few repeated listens if you want to catch the lyrical genius here.  And I encourage multiple listens; this is a song that gets better every time you listen to it.  I'm a fan of two minutes in twenty seconds in, Maria crooning you will always be the bitter, saddest part of me.  Stunning.  Then she sings it again.  Beautiful.  I'm going to Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment