Friday 16 December 2011

Fatboy Slim - Praise You

Who better to celebrate an exam in which it's assumed the second duma killed Stolypin (did that actually happen?  I hope so....) than with the mightiest of all the electronic gods?  Yes, Mr. Norman Cook himself, Fatboy Slim.  While I was home for about a week before my exams started, I swung by Value Village to browse their CD selection and came across You've Come A Long Way, Baby...an epic, if not his most epic, release.  And for only three dollars?  I'd be an idiot not to get it!  Of course, "Praise You" wins the track war of the album, though it's worth mentioning "Kalifornia" and "Build It Up - Tear It Down."

This might be from the late 90's, but it has everything that I still look for in a good electronic (or "big beat") track.  Some may argue that it hardly sounds electronic, though they would be lying.  Sure, you've got a piano tapping throughout "Praise You," as well as a bit of a guitar and interesting percussion, but there's still the computerized effects that'll get you.  And the vocals....I'm drooling again.  There might be few words to "Praise You," but there is beauty in minimalism (as I always lament).  Sure, we've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good.  I have to celebrate you, baby.  I have to praise you like I should.  Is it a coincidence that I have nothing but praise for this song?

No comments:

Post a Comment