Thursday 16 February 2012

Alkaline Trio - Calling All Skeletons

Sometimes I'm in the mood for punk, even though it's been a long time since the days of Sum 41 and Simple Plan (weren't those wonderful times?).  I can't listen to the crappy stuff.  Sorry, Pierre Bouvier.  I'm not a twelve year old girl anymore.  Let's think more contemporary punk, for the older crowd.  How about Alkaline Trio, the appropriately named group of three who know a thing or two about lyrics and guitars?  I might have grown out of the old punk acts that aren't terribly relevant anymore, but I will never tire of the trio.

"Calling All Skeletons" comes from Agony & Irony (props if you know what the title references), likely my favourite of the group's albums (with other notable mentions in "In Vein," "Over and Out" and "Do You Wanna Know?").  Even the first few second predict wondrousity ahead. 

Here it is again, yet it stings like the first time
Seems it never ends, double nickels on your dimes
I thought we were friends, I guess it just depends who you ask
These feelings seem to leave me with a hole in my chest

First four lines?  Brilliant?  The whole song is brilliant.  The band is brilliant.  Though punk might be dead (or undead, I guess it just depends who you ask), the good acts will always live on in their discography.  Case in point, Alkaline Trio.

No comments:

Post a Comment