Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Joy Formidable - A Heavy Abacus

Now and again, I crave a lush, borderline orchestral sound to my rock music.  Bands these days...but there is hope, and it comes in the hope of the wonderful The Joy Formidable.  They're Welsh too.  OMG.  I first heard of the trio via itunes free single of the week, when their "Whirring" was featured a few months ago.  It might have been a little long for me at almost seven minutes, but I found a happy place with "A Heavy Abacus."  They've achieved perfection now.

Ritzy Bryan is responsible for the lead vocals and guitar...and this chick can rock.  This is how I'll describe "A Heavy Abacus": Metric, less poppy-electronica, more stadium rock.  Miss Bryan reminds me a tad of Emily Haines, but as always, she's different enough to avoid labels.  Her voice on this track...I think I have another girl crush.  Sorry Annette Olzon!  "A Heavy Abacus" isn't fast-paced, catchy rock that you can mosh too.  It's a little more subdued, with more focus on vocals and keeping the thrash out of here.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment