Thursday 23 February 2012

Chevelle - Family System + LYRICS

Oh, I really hope that Chevelle never breaks up or sells out.  Even though Hats Off To The Bull was a tad of a disappointment to me, I'll forgive them for that, as they've left a pleasant taste in my ears with the stellar Sci Fi Crimes, Vena Sera and Wonder What's Next.  The other two albums...mediocre, but I'll give them points for trying.  Today's selection, "Family System" comes from Wonder What's Next, likely the most definitive release for the band.  This album put them on the map, and though "Family System" never became too popular of a song, I've always been an avid listener.

This is a lesson in power, children.  A subdued beginning to "Family System" leads to an explosion of not-quite-headbanging-more-like-heavy-swaying guitars and vocals with enough emotion to melt your face off.  This was the Loeffler brothers at their peak, and though they may not operate as a trio any longer, we still have gems like this to remind us of what once was.  So listen to the guitars.  Listen to the words.  Listen to those damn good vocals.  And understand how I can unconditionally love a band this much (such love only rivaled by that for PTH and good ol' D&D).

I'm tired of your open mouth,
Crawling inside my skin,
Endless pain we never quit,
The fight within that pride's begun,
Saying it's too late,
What a man's got he'll learn to hate.

Forget the time I said I would,
Replace that with I never will,
Beyond the facts held in your face,
Ignore the facts beyond your nose,
Saying it's too late,
What a man's got he'll learn to hate.

Grow up
Now without meaning,
No response, no revealing
Just grow up
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong


No comments:

Post a Comment