Monday 20 February 2012

Saigon - Women Are The New Dogs

Let's make rap beautiful again, shall we?  My staunch approach to feminism might have made me a little leery about a track called "Women Are The New Dogs," but I went into it with open ears and a positive impression already made on me by Saigon during a short collaboration with Swollen Members.  If Madchild and Prevail approve, I must as well.

What I ended up finding was something beautiful, maybe even a bit delicate.  No, it doesn't compare women to actually dogs, but dogs in the sense that they are bigger players than men.  Which is right, in this day and age.  There's a dash of heartbreak in the piano-heavy chorus, and a great flow to Saigon's verses.  He's in the vein of Kanye, but unique enough to stand out in the world of rap, and that's what gets you into my good book.  That's how you stay in the good book.

She's mine, even though she's yours
You ain't the only one breaking her off
It don't seem right, but that's how we made her
Women are the new players
She be lyin' when she say where she gone
Tell me be quiet when you call on the phone
I had to question why girl you doin' so wrong
You say, I got it from y'all
Women are the new dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment