Wednesday 9 January 2013

Tori Amos - Caught A Lite Sneeze + Evans Blue - Caught A Lite Sneeze

My recent large haul form Value Village got me Tori Amos's Boys For Pele, and that was when I knew this post needed to happen.  You see, on Evans Blue's first two albums, they covered a song by a contemporary female artist.  First it was Sarah McLachlan's "Possession," and then it was "Caught A Lite Sneeze."  Now that I have both songs, it's time to take a good look.

Tori Amos is a little haunting and a bit spooky in the original track.  Bells ring throughout, and the instruments actually sound a bit like the wheels of  machine turning and churning for four and a half minutes.  And then you have to get me started on Tori.  The vocals aren't scream-it-from-the-rooftops powerful, but have that subdued quality I quite like.  She's retaining the good part of the late-nineties sound too.  "Caught A Lite Sneeze" belongs to her.

Well, we can't say that Evans Blue doesn't do a good job of trying, because their cover is just as strong.  It comes off of The Pursuit Begins When This Portrayal of Life Ends, which means that Matisyn is the one on vocals instead of the new guy.  It's essentially the rock cover of Tori's, rife with the sound that first drew me to Evans Blue nearly seven years ago, and is also a bit darker than the original.  Think less haunting, and more melodic.  Nonetheless, I get chills when Matisyn sings I'm hiding it well, Sister Earnestine.



No comments:

Post a Comment