Sunday 27 January 2013

Panic! at the Disco - Hurricane

I remember back when Panic! at the Disco's third album, Vices & Virtues came out, I was worried.  The main reason was because Ryan Ross and Jon Walker had left the band, leaving Brandon Urie and the drummer (Spencer Smith...sorry!) with full control.  Also, after looking at the distinct differences between A Fever You Can't Sweat Out and Pretty. Odd. I worried that they would be doing another drastic change.  Well, it actually didn't turn out to be too bad.  Think of this sound being a happy medium of their Beatles-esque musical and electronic alt-rock.  There are a handful of gems in this treasure chest, and "Hurricane" is the diamond.

"Hurricane" is about sex.  Now we're all in understanding, especially with lyrics like hey stranger, I want you to catch me like a cold and I led the revolution in my bedroom and I set all the zippers free.  But Urie and Smith make it about more than that.  They fuse a peppy chorus with borderline-baroque sounds and make "Hurricane" hella catchy to boot.  Though the album as a whole isn't spectacular, shining moments like this make it worth the listen.

We said no more war
No more clothes, give me peace
Oh, kiss me.

No comments:

Post a Comment