Friday 4 January 2013

Skerrit Bwoy - I See Hell

Skerrit Bwoy comes to us from the company of Major Lazer, and by himself, he's doing his own electronic-dubstep-gospel bit that I'm quite a fan of.  Sure, his aim might be to draw in fans that are more Christian, but as someone who can barely call herself a Mennonite, I dig it.  Don't think of his work as religious music.  It's good, and that's all that should matter.

"I See Hell" is a sampling masterpiece, even taking bits from Jewel's classic "Who Will Save Your Soul?"  It's fitting here, if I do say so.  Skerrit Bwoy intertwines his message with bass that throbs and a monstrous voice insisting only God can save me now.  If I have to call "I See Hell" anything, it's haunting, and it has all of the elements to be so.  It'll be an acquired taste for others, but if you're one of the lucky few, you'll get it with the first listen.  Dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment