Monday 14 January 2013

Marilyn Manson - You're So Vain + We Came As Romans - Glad You Came

You may notice I've finally gotten around to formatting my posts right.  Now in the titles, artist name will come before the song.  One New Year's resolution down, countless more to go.

Anyways, I've always been a fan of cover songs.  It doesn't matter who's doing them and what genre it is (except maybe country or bubblegum pop), because putting a new spin on a classic never gets old.  It's always interesting to see how one artist interprets another's work, and makes it their own in the process.  I'll share two covers today, one from the Punk Goes Pop 5 album and one that's just plain awesome.

First, but definitely not the worst, comes Marilyn Manson's cover of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain."  I've recently been riding a Marilyn Manson kick, if you can believe it or not, as his band's entire discography recently came my way via my brother's best friend.  I've never really been into that brand of alternative metal, but I took a risk, and it paid off.  Some songs are still a little harsh for me, but I kept a good chunk of his music on my computer.  His version of "You're So Vain" is a raw and industrial track that still pulses with some life and melody.  Hell, the chorus is catchy enough to get stuck in your head.  Take the plunge like I did.  Oh, and Johnny Depp is apparently singing somewhere in this track, but ignore that when you listen.

I got my brother the Punk Goes Pop 5 compilation for Christmas this year, and naturally copied it onto my laptop shortly after he opened it.  A track I hadn't gotten to sample before quickly caught my eyes and ear; We Came As Romans taking on "Glad You Came" by The Wanted.  I feel the same way about this cover as I do about the other goodies from the album; it's raw and catchy, and metalcore vocals against some cleaner ones send some chills down my spine.  The chorus of this knocks all others out of the park and into the next city.  I have a new appreciation for We Came As Romans now.  If they can do this, maybe I can give them another chance...

That's what music is about, after all.  Taking a chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment