Wednesday 2 January 2013

Dragonette - Ghost

New year, new music?  That's how it would seem, but at least for the first few days of the year, I'd rather steep my brain in the brew of albums I got for Christmas, before the hunt for new music begins again.  I was more than happy to get Dragonette's Bodyparts in my stocking this year, and it's definitely a solid album.  Listen to the whole thing straight through, and you've got an electronica playlist that would fit in within the walls of any club.  You might be able to guess the characteristics of my new favourite off of the album (sorry, "Rocket Ship").  Hint: it's subdued, for the genre at least.

"Ghost" is a synth-laden, melting vocal, electronic-harmony-orchestra-other-fancy-musical-words feast.  It's perfect electronica, for those already thinking TL;DR.  Martina Sorbara reminds us here that she hasn't just mastered the club numbers, but is also able to deliver with tracks that rely on slowed beats and rising power to get the job done.  This is electronic beauty, people.  Also, if you're Canadian, I have to apologize because you won't be able to see the embedded video.  Scumbag Youtube has it blocked for my fellow Canucks.  Download it illegally if you have to; I'll forgive you in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment