Thursday 15 September 2011

Donnybrook - Accepting the Inevitable

From the Los Angeles punk-hardcore scene comes Donnybrook, a particularly good act that proves to be hard to research using Google.  I came across their music with freegal early this summer, beginning with the short, yet majestic, "Accepting The Inevitable."  They crawled back onto my radar last night thanks to the shuffle feature of itunes, and soon I was acquiring more of their music.  The band has a strength in combining heavy metal guitar riffs with vocals that are reminiscent of nu metal, akin to 1999-era Corey Taylor in Slipknot (give me grief if you want to about that, but it's true).  This is the music for those days, after a long slew of classes and half an hour in line for Starbucks (not worth it, as I found), you feel the need to headbang.

"Accepting The Inevitable" is fast-paced hardcore fun, though not for the faint of heart.  You're going to want to tap your foot or drum your fingers on the desk when you listen.  Donnybrook also proves that hardcore music doesn't need hardcore vocals to be brilliant.  While I've encountered people who stray from any vocals that sound "clean", they are truly depriving themselves of good music.  Punk mixed with hardcore does what I love, bridging genres.  Dear Donnybrook, please be huge soon; the world needs to know you.

No comments:

Post a Comment