Sunday 4 September 2011

The Verve Pipe - Real

You might know The Verve Pipe for their slowed down mega-hit "The Freshman."  While I do like that song, I like an obscure selection from their second album, Villains.  "Real," a short story of nursery rhymes, playtime between a brother and sister, and the realization that there is a fine line between the world of play and everything else around us.  What caught my attention first?  The lyrics...

My sister had a nursery rhyme, set of figurines.  She often let me play with them, I set them up in different scenes.  Fifty plastic army men, led by superman destroyed the ranks of Mother Goose, Mary and her little lamb....slips away and catches sister getting read.  And I can too, as long as I don't make a sound.

Some songs have a powerful lead singer.  Others have lyrical genius.  While some have both, I am partial to ones that have no-nonsense lyrics (though, there is nothing wrong with nonsense).  The lyrics of "Real" make this song what it is.  No lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment