Monday 19 September 2011

Banquets - Fireplug

I've mentioned songs that have a penchant for worming their way into the brains of the world.  Such phenomenon reminds me of a quote from The Simpsons: "As a child, I was bitten by the acting bug. Then it burrowed under my skin and laid eggs in my heart. Now those eggs are hatching and I... the feeling is indescribable."  Props if you can remember the episode.  You get a fist-bump through the screen of your computer.  But this quote applies to these songs, among them, "Fireplug" by New Jersey alternative outfit Banquets.

They have two and a half minutes to rope you in, and they do it.  This is the way alternative is supposed to be done.  Smart lyrics, catchy guitar riffs and vocals that impress someone who's heard pretty much every register out there (a.k.a me).  They've got a album, Top Button, Bottom Shelf, that I'm hoping comes into my area and has already garnered attention from the musical community.  They're doing it right.  Open your doors, just let me in.  Or rather, open your ears and let Banquets in.  You won't be disappointed.  The world is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment