Tuesday 20 September 2011

K-Os feat. Saukrates - I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman

There are few songs that can grab my attention in about three minutes.  I'm not talking about the songs that you listen to and say "oh, that's good."  These are songs that lasso a rope around your neck and pull you in like a captured sturgeon (yeah, I lasso sturgeon).  Yesterday, I was home from class and dwindling my time away when "I wish I Knew Natalie Portman" came on MuchMusic.  At first, watching K-Os and Saukrates sitting down and rapping, I nearly wondered aloud "what the hell is this?"  I brushed it off at first, but it was too late.  The eggs had already been laid, and they were hatching.  I fell in love with a song.  This might be the best K-Os I've ever seen.  Even better than the also notable "Crabbuckit" and "Heaven Only Knows."

"I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman" blends rap with the notorious Phantom Planet theme song of The OC.  K-Os keeps the sad tones of the original, while adding his own spin of electronic beats.  With a wonderful chorus, beginning: I've been on the run, shadow weighs a ton, it's starting to make sense to me, I can't really make you love me, you've got something you don't see often.  This isn't just beautiful rap.  This is the way all music should be.  Maybe I would have actually watched The OC if they used this as the theme song.  And Saukrates?  He doesn't act as a featured artist by "just being there" or "just hanging around."  He adds even more wonder to this tune.

I can't really make you love this song, but I can try.  What do I recommend even more?  Youtube the live performance, and your mind will be blown.  Ignore everything else I've ever said in this blog before; if there is only one song I've featured that you actually listen to, make it this one.  Field any complaints to me, but I doubt there will be any.

No comments:

Post a Comment