Thursday 1 September 2011

Kerli - Army of Love

Estonia's answer to Lady Gaga, who I believe came a little bit before Mother Monster, is Kerli.  The winner of an American-Idol-style competition in her native land, she entered my radar this year with the infectious pop tune "Army of Love."  It's catchy.  It's eccentric.  It's danceable.  And the video?  Watch out, Bad Romance.  Kerli isn't your typical pop star.

"Army of Love" is about exactly what you think it is, an army of love.  Come one, come all, she's building an army.  Kerli uses an airy voice that doesn't sound too familiar enough to venture into radio-repeat territory.  No wonder this girl won Estonian Idol.  If love and freedom's all that we need, then follow me.  I'd happily join the army of love, because ever since I got this song, it has been playing on Sir Lappy, as well as finding a place in the rotation of mixed CDs in the family van.  Do I think Kerli can make it in a North American market?  Yes, if she keeps it up.  Also noteworthy are the songs "Tea Party", "Walking on Air", and the Cherry Cherry Boom Boom Refreak of "Army of Love".  The refreak stands as one of the best, and only, instances where throbbing bass and I don't have any hate between us.

So what are you waiting for?



No comments:

Post a Comment